THE ONE WHEN IT ALL WENT IN THE POOPER

There I was.  It was early in the morning on February 21, 2020, and I woke up to what I thought was a real life enactment of Julius Caesar's death.   Holy pain.  I didn't want to wake Deron so I tried to get to the bathroom without making a sound.  That's hard when the swear words are forming in your throat.  Anyway, long story, longer, kidney stones.  "Or it could be.....?  kidney stones.  Or maybe..... kidney stones" I felt like Joey Tribiani.  Thankfully these bad boys were much smaller than my ones from the previous year coming in at 11mm and 7mm. These were 4mm and 2mm.  So good newsroom the ER visit Deron made me go to.  "Take these drugs, this lovely sieve to pee in to catch the stones, and you can be on your way.  You will pass them in the next few days."  Right.  Right.  To the normal person this would have gone as said plan.  Fast forward to the next day.

Deron - " Have you passed anything?"
Me - "I want to poke out either your eyeballs or my eyeballs.  No.  I haven't passed anything, and I am super achey and I think I am having chills, but then I feel hot"
Deron - "You look really swollen and I think you look worse then yesterday."
Me - "And this is pleading your cause to keep your eyeballs in their sockets?"
Deron - "No Min, you don't look well.  Something isn't right.  Have you taken your temperature?"
Me - "No.  I'm fine.  This will go away."
Deron takes my temp
Deron - "Holy.  Your temp is 103 Min.  We are going back to the hospital."
Me - (totally delirious) "I'm fine.  What was your name again?"
Deron - "If you don't get out of that bed right now, I am picking you up and putting you in the car!"
Me - "Let me take some more medicine to help my fever.  Let's wait until that kicks in and see"
Deron stops talking.  Literally takes me out of bed.  Puts me in the car and drives me to the hospital.

At this point, I was almost totally out of it.  I was crying and telling Deron that I wasn't ready to die.  I was in extreme pain.  I was shaking, and I couldn't even form sentences.   Long story even longer... Surprise.  I was septic. Had I waited even an hour more, I would've been in the ICU.  The ER was rushing around shoving IV's in both arms.  They were taking other blood samples from my hands.  I was hooked up to an EKG.  Before I knew it I was admitted.  They were debating whether or not to put me in the ICU.  I had had two HUGE doses of rocephin, and was on another antibiotic drip through my IV.  At one point I was in so much pain, had a fever of 104, and was absolutely beside myself that I started to shake uncontrollably.  I knew I wasn't having a seizure, but it totally looked like it.  I have never been in that much pain in my life, and I have had a 3 hour eye surgery with nothing but a valum and numbing drops in my eye.  I grabbed Deron's shirt and told him that this was it.  I couldn't see myself making it through this.  He was adamant and looked at me and told me no.  That wasn't an option, and that he would make everything okay or Florence Nightingale over there in the corner was gonna get it. That poor nurse.  She and I may have said a couple of words that start with the letter F.

Blood cultures came back, and I was septic with a blood infection that they said they rarely see.  Shocking. I know. BUT the more I researched it, it sounded like it was common for a kidney infection. Which made me feel better know that they kidney issues were definitely the source.  They specified an antibiotic to target said infection.  Thank the heavens above!  Meanwhile back at the old ureters, a stone was stuck, and tearing my ureter.  Thus the infection that had backed up into my kidney causing hydronephrosis, was leaking out into my blood stream.  So off I went for surgery.  The doctor said that he would remove the stone and place a stent.  Oh goodie.  I remember the stent from last year, and may I add that if anyone is looking to interrogate some terrorists, just place one of those in their ureters, leave it there for a 3 weeks, and then remove it without any medication, numbing or sedation right out the old urethra.  They will give you the codes to anything you have ever dreamed of!  I digress.  Doctor told me that he wouldn't remove the stone if it would tear my ureter more.  Because then all of the infection would just flood into my system instead of being able to drain the ole kidney the old fashioned way.  Make sense?

Fingers crossed I went into surgery.  When I woke up Deron said that everything went so well, and that they removed the stone without tearing anything further, patched it up and placed the stent.  Praise be! They still had me staying the hospital two more days.  They wouldn't let me leave until the blood infection was gone.  Which was fine with me.  I would've rather stayed there to make sure all was well before heading home.  

I eventually got home, and was so glad to be on the other side of it.  Even if it meant I was wearing  my stent for another week.  (insert swear words now)

Couple of weeks later March 11 to be exact, Deron and I were planning on heading out to Hawaii.  Yay!  Well we all know what happened with in a matter of those few days.  Trip was cancelled, school close, country shut down, and earthquakes.  So that was fun.   I also  discovered upon wanting to get back to my exercise routine that I had a horrible pain in my arm.  I couldn't straighten it all the way at my elbow.  Oh shiz.   This wasn't good.  I know enough to be dangerous when it comes to medical things.  I thought at first it was a bruise from where I had an IV, but then talking to my other nurse friends at work, we all concluded that I better go to the doctor because it was most likely phlebitis with a possible blood clot.  Lovely.  That all was confirmed a little later after a visit to my doctor, and an ultrasound.  The blood clot started at my elbow and had come to extend into my armpit.   So, rest and blood thinners it was.  Fantastic.  I told Deron he better cut ties with me now.  Because if he was looking for a good luck source, I was not it.  Bless his little soul.  He has been so incredible.  Along with my amazing friends and family.  I truly would be dead if it wasn't for them.

Deron and I decided to make a list of fun things that I have had since about October of last year. Here they are in actual order.

Carpel Tunnel Surgery (that was a cake walk)
C-Diff (from the antibiotics that were given after my wrist surgery.  Almost poooped by pants 3 times at work)
5 UTI's (My body hate me)
Kidney Infection
Kidney stones
Hydronephrosis
Sepsis
Ureter/kidney surgery
Stent
Blood Clot from Elbow to Armpit
Breast Calcifications
Breast Biopsy
Breast Cancer
Tooth Absess/Oral Surgery w/bone removal

And please for the ever living love of Lori Laughlin. Make it stop there.  Okay Pumpkin?!

Comments

  1. I'm supposing that you are asleep now, so you will be reading this after your surgery and whatever else follows and you get strength. I just found out and am deeply affected by your struggles, Moon Maiden πŸ˜’πŸ˜ŸπŸ₯Ί! Holy Shiz, What the F?, What the heck Batman? Do you think you're doing, girl? You are suppose to be kicking back with feather slippers, eating chocolates! My poor little Dorothy 😩! It seems like you are still caught in the tornado πŸŒͺ!
    All my love, prayers, best wishes, Auntie Powers, and hopeful thinking are coming together for you right now πŸ€—πŸ’πŸ˜πŸ₯°☺πŸ’–πŸ’—πŸ’ž! My dearest Melinda, I love you so ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope its ok that I read your entire blog! I guess that's what happens when you add me on Facebook. I enjoyed reading it not because I enjoy your pain, but because you are very real and relatable, and so funny! I have missed having you come in my class. I get so nervous around parents, but I felt at ease around you. You were that person I went to when my conversation reached an awkward lag with another parent... 😳
    You are an amazing person. I would consider it a huge success if I am anything like you one day. 🀞I hope you have a fast and complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE ONE WITH A HYSTER SISTER

THE ONE WITH THE LETTER

THE ONE WITH THERAPY